Saturday, July 5, 2008

Printed matters.

Sometimes, even if you're in the mood to buy things, you can't find anything to spend your money on.

The past couple of times I've been wandering around Kinokuniya or Asia Books looking to purchase some cool, original, inspirational printed material, I've come out frustrated and bored. It seems that despite the millions of books published every year, only a handful every year are actually worth buying. Everything looks the same; words, words, and more words. I don't know why there isn't a new 'Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite' equivalent published every week - surely there'd be a market for it.

Recently I've taken to popping into the Japanese bookstore in Emporium. The Japanese know how to do books. Brilliant design, gorgeous to look at, and totally original in concept and layout. Sometimes the books look more like magazines; sometimes the magazines look more like books. Whatever it is, I never come out empty handed and always have to carefully edit my purchases to avoid a 10,000 baht bill.

No comments: