Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tabla of contents.

As I write this, I am listening to some of the music I bought from Pakistan. The artist is Abida Parveen, and the genre is Sufi folk music. I am no expert on traditional Pakistani music or its meaning, but I am told that the lyrics are adapted from ancient Sufi spiritual verses.

Naturally, I do not understand the words, but there is no doubt that the sentiments expressed are positive, and it feels like my apartment is being filled with a strong dose of calming energy.

The music is beautifully simple, usually with only Abida’s gorgeous voice, an unhurried tabla as percussion, almost imperceptible backing strings, and occasional melodies from a wooden wind instrument whose name is unknown to me. Lovely, and perfect for a relaxed Sunday night at home.

No comments: